Neither my fight, nor my passion has ended

The fifth song of legendary Sezen Aksu's 1991 album Gülümse (Smile), Ne Kavgam Bitti Ne Sevdam (Neither My Fight, Not My Passion Has Ended), has always been a big hit. One of the most productive Turkish singers/songwriters ever, Sezen Aksu has changed the face of Turkish pop music and made it very poetic. Her music is well-acclaimed by all segments of society, however, in latest years she has been criticized (unjustly, in my opinion) for "supporting terrorists or the conservative government" as she called for peace-making process with the Kurds as well as a more democratic Constitution. She is not as big as before but her songs, especially from the 90s like this one, will not be forgotten any easily.

I have found two other English translations for this song but my version is slightly different. First of all, I have translated "sevda" as "passion" not as "love" because sevda also refers to a very big and somehow out-of-control want. "Ömür geçer gönül geçmez" can be understood as "life passes but heart stays" but the second geçmek reminds me of "vazgeçmek" (to give up), which is mostly used in this short version in folkloric music. Aysel Gürel, another very productive and "crazy" songwriter who passed away some years ago, used "the bends" (decompression sickness, but the Turkish name for it sounds less technical, it is almost like "hitting") in many of her songs as she grew up drowning and being saved several times. And here, it might mean something like "every time you fall in love, you explore the depths of your beloved one and yourself but there is no easy way to end a relationship, every time it ends you get chokes, you feel broken." Enough with my words, here sings Sezen -our Minik Serçe (Little Sparrow).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPMOwpwCv0

For Turkish lyrcis: http://sarki.alternatifim.com/data.asp?ID=7426&sarki=Ne%20Kavgam%20Bitti%20Ne%20Sevdam&sarkici=Sezen%20Aksu

I got forgotten, forgotten
Like roses left to dry
Like words written
On walls invaded by moss

The night never ends
The day never ends
This loneliness - it never ends
Neither my fight, nor my passion has ended
The years might pile up but the heart does not give up

Every time it ends, it feels like the bends
Leave my tears alone!
And send my greetings to all my lovers

My flowers fall off each season, then come new blossoms
My hope gets downhearted
Then the sea pours out a thousand times, a thousand times

Every time it ends, it feels like the bends
Leave my tears alone!
And send my greetings to all my lovers

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Dillerden düşmeyen 12 Arapça ifade

Norveççe Öğrenmeye Nereden Başlamalı?

Norveç'in "ayıp" gençlik dizisi: Skam